It’s week 13 in my series of Isolation Mixtapes, which means we’re now halfway through the alphabet. When i began this series it seemed possible that the prospect of 26 mixtapes, unfolding weekly over the course of six months, might well be in keeping with the length of time of lockdown. As things stand now the lockdown, and its associated isolation, is slowly becoming less of a reality in the UK – and even more so across Europe – though ‘normality’ (however we end up (re)defining that) remains somewhere in the future, particularly for music and the arts. So my plan is to continue through the latter half of the alphabet in the hope that, by the time we reach Z, all of our lives might be a lot more genuinely normalised, and that enforced isolation is becoming a memory.
To that end, here’s this week’s mixtape, devoted to composers, groups and artists beginning with the letter M. The first half has an inadvertent focus on song, while the second half becomes more abstract and atmospheric. As always there are two tracks for each of the years 2010 to 2019, presented in chronological order.
Here’s the tracklisting in full, together with approximate timings and links to obtain the music. As usual, the mixtape can be downloaded or streamed via MixCloud.
- 00:00:00 Mackintosh Braun – To Protect (from Where We Are)
- 00:03:42 Morten Riis – quitString (from getString)
- 00:07:46 Marek Zebrowski & David Lynch – Polish Night Music No. 1 (from INLAND EMPIRE (Original Motion Picture Score))
- 00:11:57 Martin Stig Andersen – Sister (from Limbo (Original Videogame Soundtrack))
- 00:15:01 Man Without Country – Migrating Clay Pigeon (from Foe)
- 00:20:10 Metric – The Wanderlust (from Synthetica)
- 00:23:13 Marsheaux – Over and Over (from Inhale)
- 00:27:13 Maïa Vidal – Disaster Body (from Spaces)
- 00:30:28 Machinefabriek & Gareth Davis – My Funny Valentine (from Dubbeltjes)
- 00:32:30 MØ – No Mythologies To Follow (from No Mythologies To Follow (Deluxe Edition))
- 00:36:08 Marianne Schuppe – condensationdate (from slow songs)
- 00:38:42 Made In Heights – Lunette (from Without My Enemy What Would I Do)
- 00:42:51 Maarja Nuut – Kargus (from Une Meeles)
- 00:47:27 Mirjam Tally – The Voyager #1 (from The Voyager)
- 00:51:01 Minced Oath – Truth Serum (from Supersede)
- 00:57:18 Maxime Corbeil-Perron – Cubic (short version) (from Polychrome)
- 01:03:06 Michael Hoppe – Think I Got It Half Price (from Put A Filter To Your Ears And Just Smile Through It)
- 01:06:35 Murcof – Chapitre II (from Lost in Time)
- 01:12:06 Mark Korven – Arrival (from The Lighthouse (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack))
- 01:13:43 Matmos – The Crying Pill (from Plastic Anniversary)